Someone recently asked for suggestions on how to keep motivated in a job that she had just been given extra responsibility. She was finding it hard to focus and feel enthusiasm. I thought about it and this is what I came up with. Most humans feel demotivated in many situations. Whether it be in their jobs, personal goals they set or in relationships. On a basic human level, points 1-5 are some basic things we can do. Point 6 goes a little higher!
- Examine your “why”. Is it strong enough to keep you going even through the tough, low times?
- You are your number one cheerleader. Sure we can look to others for some inspiration and motivation, but we have to be careful not to create a dependency on outside sources of Motivation, and to an extent validation.
- If things do become too overwhelming and you do hit a low, maybe it’s time to retreat, reflect and reset. Just take a break and when you’re in a mental space that allows, go back to your “why” and reset, maybe do things differently. Every “low” moment is an opportunity to see things in a new light and to try something new.
- Pray and Meditate. Again, go within and discover yourself and what you’re really capable of. Repeat affirmations that resonate with your soul, affirmations that you will actually believe.
- Find a mentor or a tribe that can truly support you in a healthy way. No codependency, only true self building!
- Finally, what I consider to be the most important point, is to realize that when you’re actually feeling demotivated and down, that it is in those moments you have lost connection with your Higher Self. You have forgotten that it is your Higher Self/God that does work(s) through you. Remind yourself of this in that “low” moment of doubt And turn your thoughts and actions over to God. Remind yourself of this each day when you wake up, that each task you undertake is being performed by your higher self, you are just the vessel. Remind yourself that with each situation you face, each conversation you’re going to have will be directed and conducted by your Higher Self. You are never alone. With this knowledge you can never lack confidence in your (true) self and you can keep going, ultimately fulfilling your purpose here in this lifetime!